The Piley Rees Field is named for the legendary schoolmaster and rugby coach who had been a master at Bishops from 1922 to 1967. He died in 1975 and the field was named after him in 1983.
The fields on the Top Field – to the right as you come down the Avenue – take their names from what they were next to, The Avenue Field was and still is next to the Avenue. The Range was next to the old shooting range before it was moved to the far side of the Oaks. Parallel and next to the Range is the Cemetery because it was next to the cemetery behind St Thomas’s Church, where the Astroturf now is. When the cemetery was deconsecrated the field was used for rugby and called the Graveyard (now the Astro). The Fields outside – off Riverton Road- of the school in the dip next to the river were once a farm. JW Lutgens acquired the farm in 1799 and so that low-lying part was called Lutgensvale where four fields are in operation. The New Rick Skeeles Pavilion built in honour of Richard Skeeles – the legendary and much loved 1st Team Coach and prep school master.